CAHNR Hexagon photos

Welcome to Orientation!

We look forward to virtually welcoming you to your new academic community—the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture (RHSA). Here you will find information and resources you will need to do to prepare for your 1:1 advising meeting. 

What You Can Expect

During your 1:1 advising meeting you will be using WebEx to meet with a professional advisor from RHSA. In your 1:1 advising meeting, you will be registering for courses for the upcoming semester. During this session, the advisor can also answer any questions you may have about your major, pre-professional programs, college, or other academic questions you may have.

Checklist For a Successful Advising Appointment

Schedule an Advising Appointment

After completing the required Orientation presentations, you will be able to select a date and time to meet with an advisor.

  • Advisors will be using the WebEx platform to conduct your advising session
    • For those with limited access to technology, phone appointments are available 
  • You will receive an email with a meeting room link the day before your appointment
  • During the advising appointment you will:
    • Register for Spring courses with an advisor

Prior to Advising Appointment

1. Review the Orientation Office Task List

2. Review your acceptance letter to verify the major you have been accepted into. If you have any questions about your major, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

3. Read more about your major:

Plans of Study        About RHSA      Sequence of Courses

4. Read the Academic Resources information below on placement exams and transferring credit

6. Check the StudentAdmin system to be sure you do not have any holds on your account that will prevent registration

Day of your Advising Appointment

We will use the WebEx platform to conduct your advising session. All University students have access to this platform. At your assigned meeting time, please go to the meeting room link you received via email the day prior, and your advisor will greet you. 

Please remember:

  • If you do not have access to technology, and need to conduct a phone appointment, please indicate that on your student information form 
  • Remember if using your camera function that your advisor can see you and your surroundings

Academic Resources

Placement Information


  • As part of the University General Education Requirements, all students are required to complete ENGL 1007. (Note: ENGL 1007 is a prerequisite to all writing (W) courses).
  • The English Guided Placement survey will be used to place you in the appropriate English course (ENGL 1003, 1004 or 1007).
  • Writing sample prompts can be found on the English Guided Placement site.
  • Any student who has earned a score of 4 or 5 on the AP English Language or English Literature exam will receive credit for English
  • Students who successfully complete English courses in a UConn ECE program will receive the same credit as that given by UConn
  • Transfer Students - If you have taken English at your previous institution, you may be eligible to petition for a Writing Course Equivalency Review to satisfy the English requirement
    • To be eligible to petition, students must have completed two semesters of composition at another institution, and received six transfer credits labeled either ENGL 91002 or ENGL 91003 OR have received at least three transfer credits labeled ENGL 91002 or 91003 AND completed an additional academic writing course with a focus on the practices and processes of composition.



UConn requires all undergraduate students seeking to register in Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1 and 2 to take the Mathematics Placement Exam (MPE) to determine student readiness for appropriate placement. NOTE: Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1 and 2 are not requirements of an associate of applied science degree from RHSA. 

Students must earn qualifying scores in order to register for MATH 1060Q (Pre-Calculus), MATH 1131Q (Calculus 1), MATH 1132Q (Calculus 2), MATH 1151Q (Honors Calculus 1), or 1152Q (Honors Calculus 2). The RHSA majors do not require pre-calculus or higher math, so students do not need to take the placement test. However, if you are interested in pursuing a higher degree after graduating from RHSA that requires calculus, you can consider taking the test.

  • The Math Placement Exam is completed online through HuskyCT
  • A minimum score of 17 is required for placement in MATH 1060Q (Pre-Calculus)
  • A minimum score of 22 is required for placement in MATH 1131Q (Calculus 1) or MATH 1132Q (Calculus 2)
  • Students have a maximum of three attempts per semester to achieve the required score. If you do not achieve a qualifying score after the first attempt, we STRONGLY encourage you to review the learning modules before re-taking the assessment



Chemistry is not a requirement of an associate of applied science degree from the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture therefore, students in RHSA are not required to complete the Chemistry Placement Exam.

Transferring Credit

AP Credit

AP examination scores must be sent directly from the College Board to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. To receive AP academic credit at UConn you must earn a 4 or 5 on your AP exam, with the exception of MATH BC where a 3 is accepted.

  • AP credit may transfer in as a specific UConn course, or as generic credit (ex. Art/Studio 1000 level).
  • AP courses do not transfer with a grade, and therefore do not affect your UConn GPA.

Your advisor will help you determine how your AP scores will transfer to UConn.


Early College Experience (ECE) Credit

UConn Early College Experience (ECE) is a concurrent enrollment program that allows high school students in Connecticut to take UConn courses at their high schools for both high school and college credit.

Students will have the opportunity to decide if they would like to accept or reject their ECE credit based on the grade earned, as well as the program they are interested in pursuing.

ECE courses transfer to UConn with an actual grade, which if accepted does factor into a student's overall GPA.

Speak with your advisor regarding how ECE courses can work in your plan of study.


Transferring Credit for Transfer Students

  • Make sure your official transcripts from your previous institution(s) are sent to UConn as soon as possible in order to avoid any enrollment issues.
  • If you have questions regarding your transfer credits, please contact the Office of Transfer Admission.
  • A week before Orientation, review your Transfer Credit Report. If the report has notes of people to contact for a course review, please follow those directions as soon as possible. This is important if you need this course as a pre-requisite during registration.
  • Remember to keep any syllabi from your previous institution(s), as you will need to present them if you have any questions regarding re-evaluation of your transfer credits.

Academic Calendar

UConn's Academic Calendar includes many important dates to be aware of for the semester.

Key  Important Dates included in the Academic Calendar:

  • First day of classes
  • Add/Drop Period
  • Thanksgiving Break
  • Last day of Classes
  • Winter Break
  • Exams
  • Spring Break
  • Commencement

How to Contact Us

If you have questions or concerns about Orientation or your advising appointment, please contact the Office of Academic Programs

PHONE:   (860) 486-2919
FAX:    (860) 486-4643

Nancy Rodriguez advising a student in UConn Nutritional Sciences

Other Orientation Resources