CAHNR Hexagon photos

Welcome to Orientation!

We look forward to welcoming you to your new academic community—the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR).   Here you will find information and resources on what you need to do to prepare for your advising meeting. 

What You Can Expect

During your advising meeting you will meet with a professional or faculty advisor from CAHNR. In your advising meeting, you will be reviewing and registering for courses for the upcoming semester. During this meeting, the advisor can also answer any questions you may have about your major, pre-professional programs or other academic questions you may have.

Checklist For a Successful Advising Meeting

1. Review the Orientation Office Task List

2. Review your acceptance letter to verify the major you have been accepted into.

  • If you have any questions about your major, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
  • If you want to change your major before Orientation, review the FAQ page for specific directions.

3. Review your major's:

Plans of Study

Sequence of Courses

Allied Health Sciences Majors, please review: Allied Health Sciences Major Orientation


4. Read the information below on placement exams and transferring credit.

5. Check the StudentAdmin system to be sure you do not have any holds on your account that will prevent registration. A common hold is the SF Responsibility Agreement. All students need to complete this agreement each semester through their To-Do List is StudentAdmin.

6. Review UConn's Academic Calendar includes many important dates to be aware of for the semester. Important Dates include the Add/Drop Period, Thanksgiving Break, Last day of Classes, Winter Break, Exams, Spring Break and Commencement.

Other Orientation Resources


To register in Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1 (or higher) students must take the Mathematics Placement Exam (MPE).

Students must earn qualifying scores in order to register for: 

- MATH 1060Q Pre-Calculus (a minimum score of 17 is required)

  • - MATH 1131Q Calculus 1  or higher (minimum score of 22)

Students have a maximum of three attempts per semester to achieve the required score. If you do not achieve a qualifying score after the first attempt, we STRONGLY encourage you to review the learning modules before re-taking the assessment.



To register for General Chemistry (CHEM 1124Q, CHEM 1127Q or CHEM 1147Q) students must take the Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE) .

Students scores determine readiness for the following classes:

- CHEM 1124Q General Chemistry Fundamentals (score below 60% is recommended)

  • CHEM 1127Q or 1147Q General Chemistry I (minimum score of 60%; 90 out of 150 points is recommended)

Students have a maximum of three attempts per semester to earn a qualifying score. Students who do not earn a qualifying score after their first attempt are STRONGLY encouraged to spend time reviewing previously learned General Chemistry concepts before re-taking the assessment.


ENGL 1007, 1010 or 1011 are a General Education requirement and a prerequisite to all writing (W) courses.

The English Guided Placement Survey (GPS)  will be used to place you in the appropriate English course. Information including writing sample prompts can be found on the English Guided Placement Survey (GPS) site.


AP Exams: A score of a 4 or 5 on the AP English Language or English Literature exam will receive credit for English 1011.

ECE Credits:  Students who successfully complete English 1010 or 1011 courses in a UConn ECE program will receive the same credits that are given by UConn.

Transfer Students:  If you did not receive credit for ENGL 1007, 1010 or 1011 on your Transfer Credit Report,  you may be eligible to petition for a Writing Course Equivalency.  For more information go to the First Year Writing website



UConn accepts some AP examination scores for academic credit. To receive AP academic credit at UConn students must: 

  • Earn a 4 or 5 on your AP exam, with the exception of MATH BC where a 3 is accepted
  • Send their AP scores directly from the College Board to UConn's Office of Undergraduate Admissions

AP credit may transfer in as a specific UConn course, or as generic credit (ex. Art/Studio 1000 level).

AP courses do not transfer with a grade, and therefore do not affect your UConn GPA.

Your advisor will help you determine how your AP scores will transfer to UConn.


UConn Early College Experience (ECE) is a concurrent enrollment program that allows high school students in Connecticut to take UConn courses at their high schools for both high school and college credit.

Students have the opportunity to decide if they would like to accept or reject their ECE credit based on the grade earned, as well as the program they are interested in pursuing.

ECE courses transfer to UConn with an actual grade, which if accepted does factor into a student's overall GPA.

Speak with your advisor regarding how ECE courses can work in your plan of study.


Make sure your official transcripts from your previous institution(s) are sent to UConn as soon as possible in order to avoid any enrollment issues.

If you have questions regarding your transfer credits, please contact the Office of Transfer Admission.

At least a week before Orientation, review your Transfer Credit Report. If the report has notes of people to contact for a course review, please follow those directions as soon as possible. This is important if you need this course as a pre-requisite during registration.

Remember to keep any syllabi from your previous institution(s), as you will need to present them if you have any questions regarding re-evaluation of your transfer credits.

How to Contact Us

If you have questions or concerns about Orientation or your advising appointment, please contact the Office of Academic Programs

PHONE:   (860) 486-2919

Nancy Rodriguez advising a student in UConn Nutritional Sciences

Other Orientation Resources