CAHNR Alum Wins Nobel Peace Prize
When alum Steven Were Omamo sees someone planting, he sees hope. The Nobel Peace Prize Committee seems to agree.
CAHNR Alum Kira Dineen Shares Wonders of Genetics Through Podcasting
Launched in 2012 when Dineen was still in high school, DNA Today has won the Best Science and Medicine Podcast in the People’s Choice Podcast Awards three times
Kinesiology Professor Neal Glaviano Recognized by National Association of Athletic Trainers
Assistant Professor in the Department of Kinesiology and Clinical Education Coordinator for the Athletic Training Program, Neal Glaviano, was honored with the Dr. Freddie & Mrs. Hilda Pang Fu New Investigator Award from the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Foundation. This award recognizes a researcher who is likely to continue to make significant contributions to the body of knowledge in athletic training and health care.
Two CAHNR Faculty Named to World's Most Highly Cited Research List
Associate Professor of Nutritional Sciences Dr. Yangchao Luo and Assistant Professor of Remote Sensing (NRE) Zhe Zhu were named to the 2022 list of the world's most highly cited researchers. The list identifies scientists who produced multiple papers ranking in the top 1%, demonstrating significant research influence among their peers.
UConn Extension EFNEP Program Earns Top Honors from USDA, APLU, Cooperative Extension
UConn Extension was recently recognized with the 2022 Top Honors in Extension Excellence and Diversity for the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP)
Ellen Shanley Named 22-23 President of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Allied Health Sciences professor Ellen Shanley began her year-long term on June 1 as the 2022-2023 President of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals.
Tricia Leahey Named Interim Director of UConn InCHIP
Professor of Allied Health Sciences Tricia Leahey was recently appointment as interim Director of the Institute for Collaboration on Health, Intervention, and Policy (InCHIP). Dr. Leahey is a renowned expert in the field of behavioral interventions for weight loss and weight loss maintenance. She will assume her new role on August 23.
Larry Silbart Among Faculty Honored with Provost's Outstanding Service Award
In addition to his outstanding service record, Silbart has a sound reputation as an excellent, caring educator, receiving multiple awards for teaching and mentorship. He is an internationally recognized scholar in the domain of immunology and mucosal vaccine/adjuvant development.
Kristen Cooksey Stowers Recognized with Provost's Community Engagement Award
Cooksey Stowers has helped create more equitable food systems in Hartford and beyond, through community-based participatory research in the North Harford Promise Zone and the communication of her findings to both scientific and lay audiences.
UConn Emerge Top Dogs in the Inaugural Division II Women`s National Intercollegiate Championship
UConn took home top spot over Texas Tech University in the first-ever Division II Women’s National Intercollegiate Championship, held at the end of March, 2022 in Kaufman, Texas.
UConn Celebrates Promotion and Tenure of 69 Faculty
Evaluations for promotion, tenure, and reappointment apply the highest standards of professional achievement in scholarship, teaching, and service for each faculty member evaluated. Several CAHNR faculty members made the cut.
More Awards & Honors
- UConn Kellogg Dairy Center herd and staff were selected for the Progressive Breeders Registry Award for a sixteenth year
- ARE undergraduates Carolanne Cusack, Michael Wolf and Kate Ferrigno took home second place in the FDRS national case study marketing competition
- ARE graduate Xi He's paper Medicaid expansion and non-alcoholic beverage choices by low-income households published in Health Economics was named Best Paper of the Year by the AAEA's Health Economics Section.
- Ragini Reddyvari, a doctoral student from the Department of Animal Science, was a recently awarded the 2022 Northeast SARE Graduate Student Research Grant from Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education for her project focused on developing natural antimicrobials to improve egg safety
- UConn Creamery took home three Bronze awards for the 12th annual Big E Cheese Competition
- CAHNR's Office of Communications received 2nd place in the National Agricultural Alumni Development Association's Multimedia-Web category for the College's Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice page.
- Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards were given by the ACE to Joseph Bonelli, Kara Bonsack, Cristina Connolly, Jennifer Cushman, Sharon Gray, Jenifer Nadeau, Michael Puglisi, Stacey Stearns, and Cindy Tian for works related to research communications.
- Steve Zinn, named the King Visiting Scholar for 2022 for the University of Arkansas's Department of Animal Science.
- Margaret Morrissey, PhD student in Kinesiology and President of the National Heat Safety Coalition, was named secretary of a newly formed thermal working group at AIHA (American Industrial Hygienist Association).
- ARE's Soojung Ahn & Sandro Steinbach awarded 2021 Award for Excellence in Research and Communication from the Food Distribution Research Society for their article "COVID-19 Trade Actions in the Agricultural and Food Sector"
- Assistant Extension Professor in the Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, Laura Cisneros, was named a CEE-Change Fellow through the North American Association of Environmental Education.